Monday, April 16, 2012

It's Real Diaper Week!

Recently a few people have asked me to blog a little about cloth diapering. I was planning on waiting until my recent order comes in, but it's Real Diaper Week. What better time than now?


My path into cloth diapers probably isn't all that unique. I kind of felt before the Vegta Baby was born that cloth diapers were just me. The husband was not quite on the same page, though. He'd tried them with his daughter and didn't feel like the benefits were worth the trouble. We agreed we would wait until after he was born and we saw how our lives changed.

When he was about a month old, I bought my first cloth diapers. I just hated the way I felt every time I had to throw another diaper in the trash. I got two Alva pockets from another mama for $10. It was so simple: snap on, snap off, wash, dry, stuff, repeat! I wanted to try all of the different systems, though. That's where Diaper Swappers came in handy. I didn't spend more than $10 for any diaper, and I got to try prefolds and covers, pockets, fitteds, an AI2s. I haven't tried an AIO (all-in-one) yet, but I think I still had a pretty good sample.

It's really not too complicated at all. Even my husband, while still not entirely into it, agrees that it's not as bad as his first experience. They used prefolds and pins, but now we have Snappis! One of the best things I've noticed so far is that I haven't had a blow out in cloth yet! Every time he pooped in a disposable it went everywhere, but I haven't seen that in cloth.


There are a few topics I'll probably cover this week:

- Benefits of cloth
- Choosing a system
- Washing

If there are any other topics you'd like to know more about, let me know! I'm by no means an expert, and I'll probably pull information from outside sources. I'm also always looking for cloth diaper giveaways for my contest page, so let me know if you've found one I haven't.

At the end of the week is the Great Cloth Diaper Change. We're working to break the world record for most cloth diapers changed at once. If you live in the Tampa Bay area, come hang out with me at the GCDC Saint Pete at Great Explorations. There will be lots of prizes and a baby expo to follow. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment